Learning a new language can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Learning any language can be broken up into four pieces: reading, writing, listening and speaking. If you want to learn English faster, get started with Step 1 below.
1.Read, read, read
One of the easiest things you can do to learn English faster is to read as much as you can. Read things all the time. This will make your vocabulary better and it will also help you learn grammar and slang.
- Read comics. An easy option, if you don’t want to read children’s books, is to read comic books or comics instead. You can buy many English language comic books in bookstores and online, or you can read free comics online (these are usually called webcomics).
- Read books you’ve read before. If you already know a little bit about what happens, then you will have an easier time guessing and understanding the words.
- Read the newspaper. Newspapers are a good way to learn the basics of a language because they usually have very good grammar and are written to be easy to understand.
Related post: How to Use Proper Business Email Etiquette
Watching movies will also help you improve your English, by helping you to hear what it sounds like and also helping you to learn new words. You can start watching with subtitles on, but you will learn more with the subtitles off. Once you have a basic vocabulary, try to keep the subtitles off and focus on listening for the words you do know and guessing the words you don’t know what is happening on the screen.
3.Play MMO games
MMOs are video games that you play online with other people. You can choose to play with people in English-speaking countries, which will give you the chance to talk with them and learn from them. Try playing Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, or The Elder Scrolls Online.
4.Find an online pen-pal
Pen-pals are people trying to learn your language that you write letters (or emails) to and they write back. You write half of your letter in your native language so that they can practice and half in English so that you can practice. You can talk about whatever you want! There are many websites that can help you find an online pen-pal.
5.Make a friend
You can also just make friends with English language speakers online and chat email, and Skype together in order to practice your English. You can find online friends by joining fan communities or through language-learning communities like Fluentify.
Learning and singing songs is another good way to make your English better. This will help you learn the sounds of English (rhymes will help your pronunciation). It will also help improve your vocabulary. Find a song you like, learn it, and learn what the lyrics mean.
7.Take a course
English courses will help you learn the most important words and grammar and can help you make sure you’re learning everything correctly. There are two main ways to take English language courses:
- Take an online course. You can take courses online. Some of these cost money and some are free. The ones that cost money may be better than the free ones but not all the time! Good examples of online programs are LiveMocha and Duolingo.
- Take a course in school. You can take a class at a local college or English language school. These cost money, but the help from the teacher will be very important and will help you learn faster than trying to learn on your own.
Of course, you can teach yourself English too. The trick to teaching yourself English fast is to make it the most important thing to you. Spend all of your free time studying and use your English as often as you can.
9.Don’t be afraid to try!
The most important part of learning a language quickly is to just speak it. Just use your language skills as much as you can. Don’t worry about being wrong or not saying something correctly. Not using your skills makes you learn so much slower. Just speak! You can do it!